Perched on the heights of the Pauillac appellation, Château Pontet-Canet is one of the most unmissable crus of the Médoc. Its founder Jean-François de Pontet, squire to the king and governor of the Médoc, acquired it in 1725, then his heirs bought a few years later the neighboring land of the place called Canet: thus was born Château Pontet-Canet.
The Domaine will reach the title of Fifth Grand Cru Classé during the classification of the wines of 1855 officialized for the universal exhibition of Paris. It will be acquired by Herman Cruse, a Bordeaux merchant of Danish origin, a decade later and will then be renovated from top to bottom. It is only when Guy Tesseron bought it in 1975, already owner of Château Lafon-Rochet to Saint-Estèphe, that Domaine starts to be reborn of its brightness. His son Alfred will reveal the extraordinary potential of his terroir from 1994, by converting the Domaine to biodynamic agriculture with the support of his steward and trusted man Jean-Michel Comme. Today, it is his daughter Justine Tesseron who continues his work, making Pontet-Canet shine on the wine scene.
The Château Pontet-Canet reigns today over an 81-hectare vineyard, entirely conducted according to the principles of biodynamics since the 2004 vintage. The Domaine is thus a precursor and a reference in the world of the Grands Crus Classés of Bordeaux. It was certified by the Biodyvin and Ecocert labels in 2010 and then by the Demeter label in 2014.
The grape varieties on the property are Cabernet Sauvignon (62%), Merlot (32%), Cabernet Franc (4%) and Petit Verdot (2%). They are planted on beautiful gravel soils containing clay-limestone substrate in places.
The Château Pontet-Canet rightly has a large following, as its history rewards the work of a daring gamble; the wines have a wonderful burst of fruit, depth and harmony that is simply divine.