The Château Prieuré-Lichine is a discreet building located in the heart of the Margaux appellation, whose wines reflect the grandeur of the sublime terroir. The Domaine was founded in the 12th century by the monks of the Abbey of Vertheuil, and was called at the time the Priory of Cantenac.
The Château Prieuré-Lichine became a Fourth Grand Cru Classé in the famous 1855 classification at the Paris World's Fair.
In 1951, Alexis LicHine, a wine merchant of American-Russian origin nicknamed the "Pope of Wine" acquired it and added his name to it two years later. With patience and persistence, he endowed Domaine with new terroirs and modernized the facilities, bringing it to the top. Today it belongs to the Ballande Group, is equipped with a new vat room allowing for tailor-made vinifications that reveal the Extraordinary potential of its terroir.
The vineyard covers an area of 78 hectares, planted with 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot, destined for the production of the grand vin and Second wine, the Confidences de Prieuré-LicHine. The wines are aged for 14 to 16 months in oak barrels, 40% of which are new wood.
For the past few years, 2.2 hectares have been devoted to the production of the White of Château Prieuré-Lichine, planted with 70% Sauvignon Blanc and 30% Semillon.
The Château Prieuré-Lichine offers wines known for their precision, their greed and their finesse.