The Château Kirwan is a beautiful property in the heart of the Margaux vineyard. It was built in the late 18th century by Mark Kirwan, an Irish businessman, who received Domaine by marrying the daughter of the then owner John Collingwood, a merchant in Bordeaux. Thomas Jefferson, U.S. ambassador to France, praised it in his travel notes in 1787.
The Château will become a Third Grand Cru Classé in 1855, during the famous classification published for the Paris World's Fair. It was acquired by the Bordeaux trading house Schröder & Schÿler in 1926, the Schÿlers being of Hanseatic origin. Today it is Sophie, Nathalie and Yann Schÿler who run it, surrounding themselves with the best viticultural and oenological advice to optimize the excellence of their wines.
The vineyard reaches a surface of 37 hectares on Pyrenean gravel and sandy-gravel soils, and is planted to 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc and 8% Petit Verdot. The wines are aged for 18 to 21 months in oak barrels, 33% of which are new.
The property produces a Second wine, the Charmes de Kirwan.
The wines of Château Kirwan are known for their finesse and freshness, where the purity of the fruit rubs shoulders with precision and balance.