A magnificent property overlooking the Garonne River from the heights of the Saint-Julien appellation, Château Ducru-Beaucaillou enjoys a reputation that is no longer to be proven. The history of Château Beaucaillou dates back to the 13th century, but it is from 1795 that it will start to make a name for itself, when it is acquired by Bertrand Ducru who will add his name to it.
The summit is reached when it is crowned with the title of Second Grand Cru Classé in 1855, at the time of the famous classification of the wines of the Medoc. The Victorian-style building of Château as we know it today was completed at the end of the 19th century, under the aegis of its owner at the time, Nathaniel Johnston, a merchant of Bordeaux. Since 1941, it has belonged to the Borie family, Bruno-Eugène Borie being today the third generation to raise it ever higher in excellence.
The 75-hectare vineyard is located on an exceptional terroir, the soils being composed of gravel near the Gironde estuary, which allows the vines to be protected from frost thanks to a thermal regulation. A soil which allows the blooming of the Cabernet Sauvignon planted at 70%, where it reaches an optimal maturity, as well as the Merlot at 30%. The wines are aged for 18 months in oak barrels, 60% of which are new.
The Château produces a Second wine, Croix de Ducru-Beaucaillou, on parcels located further west in the Saint-Julien appellation.
The Château Ducru-Beaucaillou is recognized today as one of the greatest wines of Saint-Julien, loaded with history and impeccable rigor. The wines are powerful, balanced, fleshy and mature with time.