It is impossible to talk about the great wines of the Médoc without talking about Château Lafite-Rothschild. A Domaine full of history whose reputation and prestige are only equalled by the legendary wines that are born there. A former medieval seigneury, the first vines were planted in the 1670's under Jacques de Ségur, a member of a family of Bordeaux parliamentarians. The wine gradually acquired an excellent reputation thanks to technical progress at the royal court of Versailles, but also across the Channel with the expansion of trade with England. Then in 1787, Thomas Jefferson, the US ambassador to France at the time, praised it in his travel notes.
The Château Lafite was promoted to the rank of Ier Grand Cru Classé in 1855 on the occasion of the Paris World's Fair, a distinction it shares with the Château Latour, Château Haut-Brion, and Château Margaux, as well as the Château Mouton Rothschild since 1973.
The rest of its rise, Château Lafite owes it to the Rothschild family, Baron James de Rothschild acquired it in 1868 and attached his name to it from that date. When Baron Eric took the reins in 1974, everything was progressively put in place with the aim of modernizing and improving performance in order to reveal the exceptional potential of the terroir. Today, it is his daughter Saskia who manages Château, always with the desire to produce wines that live up to their great terroir.
Today, Château Lafite-Rothschild is based on a vineyard of 112 hectares of vines, located on fine and deep gravelly hilltops with a limestone subsoil and facing the Gironde estuary. The vineyard is composed of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot.
The Domaine produces a Second wine that is on par with its elder, the Carruades de Lafite.
The wines of Château Lafite-Rothschild are opulently rich, racy and noble, displaying a masterful power that allows them to evolve superbly over the years.