The Château Margaux is an unmistakable name in the Bordeaux vineyards, whose prestige and reputation have long extended beyond the borders. Known under the name of "La Mothe de Margaux" since the 12th century, the great quality of its wines was recognized at the beginning of the 15th century thanks to the vinification work of the steward Berlon, who separated the red grapes from the white grapes and succeeded in distinguishing the best plots. Then in 1784, this wine seduced Thomas Jefferson, future president of the United States and then ambassador of France. In the early nineteenth century, Château was destroyed by its owner at the time, the Marquis de la Colonilla Bertrand Douat, who rebuilt it as we know it today with its Ionic peristyle, monumental staircase and classical façade.
The consecration of Château Margaux comes when it attains the rank of Ier Grand Cru Classé in 1855, a distinction it shares with 4 other great Bordeaux names: Château Lafite Rothschild, Château Haut-Brion, Château Latour, and Château Mouton Rothschild since the single revision of the classification in 1973. The Margaux appellation was not created until 1954, inspired by the impeccable excellence of the eponymous Château.
Owned since 1977 by the Greek Mentzelopoulos Family, the Château Margaux today watches over a vineyard of 82 hectares, 70 of which are dedicated to the production of red wines. The average age of the vines is 35 years, with the grape variety consisting of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc.
The wines of Château Margaux are the result of a drastic selection designed to keep only the best of the crop, aiming to be full-bodied and opulent, with great length and unparalleled refinement.